There are nine ingredients to finding work you love and these ingredients are influencing your search whether you’re aware of them or not.
Nine Ingredients of Right Livelihood
The surest way to clearly hear your true work calling is to deliberately work through all nine essential ingredients by journaling your realizations and conclusions as you go.
- Honor your Core Self (inner voice) to bring forth the glory of your soul so that others can feel it and support it.
- Identify, clarify, verify, fortify and gloriously express your natural Strengths.
- Energize your Heart’s Desires.
- Flaunt your natural personality Traits (‘bad ass’ self) and feel good about it.
- Orient your life around your Values.
- Connect to a deliberate Vision that works for you.
- Commit to your nonnegotiable Requirements.
- Move through Fears and blocks that are holding you back.
- Discover and create Environments to thrive within.
In this post I’ll share some methods to go deep within to honor your Core Self (inner voice) to bring forth the glory of your soul so that others can feel it and support it.
The masters tell us to be who we are or to be all of who we are.
“To go wrong in one’s own way is better than to go right in someone else’s.” – Dostoevsky
But how does one go about discovering and honoring his or her core self? What’s the process? Let’s begin by understanding what our core self is. I’m referring to your essence, the heart of you or vital core, what some call your soul. According to Dictionary.com, soul is defined as follows.
Soul is the emotional part of human nature, the seat of the feelings or sentiments.
Soul is the animating principle, the essential element or part of something.
Soul is the inspirer or moving spirit of some action or movement.
I’ve found that the process of honoring my soul (core self) begins by setting the intention to carry on a lifelong dialogue. Our soul provides us with an inner compass that we can align with to become more in harmony with the life we were meant to live. Like wild geese somehow knowing when and where to fly south, our compass is just as accurate and fitting for us.
So we begin this dialogue by simply stating the sacred intention to be true to ourselves. One excellent way is to simply take a deep breath and say out loud. “I choose to be true to my core self.” Then thank your soul for getting your attention in this important matter and invite it to show you ways in which you can. You can jumpstart the process by journaling the following questions.
- What parts of myself have I been thus far reluctant to express?
- How can I honor myself and bring them out?
- What environments do I enjoy so much that just by being in contact with them I embody grace?
- What are the ways I like to work that bring me most alive?
- Like migrating geese, what wonderful, unseen urge is calling me?
These questions are powerful. But that sad thing is you’ll never know how powerful unless you invest the time to ask them and carry on the dialogue. This is a somewhat tricky process that can only show its gold to you in the doing of it.
“We understand why children are afraid of darkness, but why are men afraid of light? The unexamined life is not worth living.” – Plato
You can do one simple thing better than anyone else in the world: be yourself. When you do that, without holding back, the results are indeed magnificent. Yet that process only begins with rigorous self-examination.
In summary there are nine essential ingredients to get your search for work life happiness and freedom really cooking. Will you begin a dialogue with your soul today so this most important ingredient is present? In my next post I’ll share how to identify, clarify, verify, fortify and gloriously express your natural strengths.